Friday, March 29, 2013

So today was a kinda laid back day. I didn't have to go to Hiragana class this morning nor did I have to sit through advanced Japanese testing. How did I spend my day then? 

To start, I completely forgot today was Good Friday. As a Catholic, that means no meat plus I'm supposed to fast. Fortunately, I was reminded of the day and was able to meet my obligations. Anyway, I spent most of the morning trying to figure out what I'm going to do about classes both this semester and in the Fall. Fun fact: I register for Fall classes before I register for my classes here which isn't doing me much good. I haven't figured out my language situation fully yet; however, I've pretty much decided that regardless of what Tech does, I'm going to take the Foundation II course to help boost my confidence as well as be a great refreasher for the Fall. 

Here is where the problem comes in. Tech clearly hates me and wants me to do nothing but study because every major course here equates to 1 GT credit. For IAML, most of my classes are 3 credits. Oh, and did I mention that I HAVE to register for 12 GT credits to maintain status?  I'd really rather not have to take 12 classes as an exchange student but I may have no other option. Yay, Tech -.- 

In other news, we had a mandatory evacuation drill today at AP House. It would have been fine if it weren't for the fact that this university is located on a mountain and it's really flippin windy outside. But besides that, I had a pretty funny experience happen on the way back from the drill. One of my RAs (Ako-kun) began joking with us about how another RA is his "night buddy" and how "spicy" he is. The other RA played along with it really well and talked about how he ditched Ako-kun's request for a movie because it was an adult film that Ako liked. It was hilarious! 

I've also started to meet some more people on my floor as well as trying to speak Japanese more often. What's so great is as nervous as I am about speaking Japanese, they are just as nervous about speaking English. They are really patient and super helpful when it comes to speaking Japanese too. 

In the coming days, I plan to try and get a prepaid cell phone so I can potentially call people for a couple minutes. I've also started looking at clubs and organizations I can join. They have both a wind and symphony orchestra here but my trombone did not make the journey with me :(. I'm hoping they may have an instrument I can borrow. I'd also like to get involved with sports. I'm looking at potentially doing basketball as well as karate or muay thai ( I would do kickboxing, but it conflicts with a class). For now, I'm going to try and relax before classes start :) 

No comments :

Post a Comment