Thursday, April 11, 2013


Time to update on the past couple days. :) 

Monday: Twas an interesting day indeed. It started out the best though; I had the opportunity to be skyped into Chapter. It was great to see everyone's faces and watch them tackle Thomas's computer. Additionally, watching him try to read what I typed is always humorous. There were some tough points though. I'm not going to lie, I completely broke down when my brothers sang the hymn. Listening to the words and wanting to be there led to an emotional overload :P. 

I followed that up with registering for classes and studying. Registering here is sooooooooo different then at GA Tech. Here, you have a week schedule brought up and you have to click on the class you want and hit submit then hit apply. Needless to say, I lost a class because I lost the click war. It all worked on in the end and I wound up with a decent schedule. 

Tuesday: Spent the whole day studying and chilling. 

Wednesday: Yesterday, I had a decent amount of fun. I started off by studying Kanji which isn't the most delightful thing in the world. I then got to attend the gym orientation which was a 15 minute video. It was actually kinda funny. After that was a group trip to the Daiso. For those who don't know, the Daiso is a hundred yen store a la Dollar Store. I had to get school supplies and some other small things. We followed that up with a trip to Tokiwa which is the department store in the city. I actually got to look around and they have some nice stuff. If I wasn't broke, maybe I'd  get some stuff. 

After that, we went to Jolly Pasta. That was literally the best part of yesterday. Here is the thing. Lots of groceries in Japan are super expensive including fruit, yogurt, and cheese. For a couple slices of cheese, it's easily 6 to 10 dollars. As a result, we were all really happy when we went to this pasta place and could get lots of cheesy deliciousness. I got a bacon, tomato, and cheese pasta along with cheese fondue. It was soooooo yummy! Final stop was at the grocery store when I picked up some last minute meals :P. 

Today: First day of classes. Let me tell you, I was really ready to call it quits after this morning. It was rough. I didn't realize until last night that I needed a clicker for today. So, I left my apartment at 8 am to try and see about borrowing one. I walk to the Admissions Office to see if they can give me more information; they don't open until 9 am. I walk to where I was supposed to go to possibly borrow a clicker; they don't open until 9:30 am. I decide that I will just suck it up and pay for a clicker so I head towards the ATM; doesn't open until 9 am. 

After reading the professor's email, I had determined that we didn't have to have a clicker until the next class so I tried to put that behind me. So, I get ready to pull up Google Calendar to see where my first class is. I know for a fact that my computer battery cannot last 30 seconds without being plugged in so I try to find an outlet; I find an outlet only to discover that I do not have the wifi password to use wifi. It's now about 8:30 am and I have my first class at 8:45. I have to run to another building where they have the classes and rooms posted and push my way to figure out where my first couple classes are. I manage to make it to my first class. 

In general, classes weren't too bad today. My teachers are all pretty decent; the one I'm most scared of is the American one (go figure). He is just really strict so I have determined I will not make any movement in his class. My Japanese class went surprisingly well. I felt more confident talking in this class which was really awesome. Also, in my Identity and Politics class, I'm going to talk to the teacher about doing my report on Olympus Has Fallen (terrible movie but has exactly what I need for my argument).

Some things I've learned over the past few days: 

1. Laptop

  • I need a new battery
  • Most people don't use laptops in class so I'm actually writing notes this semester :P
2. Cell phone 
  • For the love of cheese and crackers, I NEED a smart phone like desperately especially with my crappy laptop battery 
3. Kickboxing
  • I did kickboxing for the first time tonight. A lot of the guys told me I had a hard punch which was cool. I have some bruises on my hands and feet and I have a feeling I'll be sore in the morning :P 
4. 

5. Brothers 
  • I love all of my brothers dearly and miss them so much. I'm praying my best friend Genie starts to feel better so we can talk again <3 AEA


No comments :

Post a Comment